Whether you have a two acre garden, an allotment or a window box, gardening can bring so many benefits. The main joy is getting away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life, being able to switch off from your job and turn your attention to something completely different. The satisfaction of seeing a seed that you planted turn in to a beautiful flower is not only rewarding but can give you so many health benefits.
According to the American Community Gardening Association, gardening will:
- Increase your exposure to vitamin D which will benefit your bones and immune system
- Decrease your risk of dementia
- Boost your mood. Apparently, gardening fights stress better than any other hobby
- Give you an aerobic workout without going to a class. All the weed-pulling and wheelbarrow pushing!
- Help you meet like-minded people. So why don't you help on a community garden project, get an allotment or join a gardening club?
The mental health benefits of gardening are well documented so it's not just your body getting a workout. Finally, after a full day in the garden, your bound to have a good night's sleep!