Do you remember the TV program Why Don’t you?
Why Don’t You Just Switch Off Your Television Set and Go Out and Do Something Less Boring Instead...
Broadcast between 1973 and 1995…in total there were 42 series. It was aimed at children who were intent on sitting in front of their TVs all day throughout the summer holidays. Now everyone (not just children!) is stuck in front of their phone or tablet so we’re here to help you go out and do something less boring instead.
By now, you've probably realised that we're all about starting something new. Fresh starts, new hobbies, healthy living…all that sort of thing. But we only tend to think about these things when we have some time off – usually over Christmas or our summer holidays. That’s why we start the new year all enthusiastic with our new idea. But does it last? Well sometimes it does but more often than not, it doesn’t. Especially diets – only the really strong willed will give up chocolate and alcohol in January! But I digress. We’re talking about starting something new whatever the time of the year. Here are the top excuses we hear for not even getting started…
- I don’t have time. Everyone has the same 24 hours in a day. Have you ever wondered how so many people get so much done (I have!). They prioritise. Less TV seems to be the main thing.
- I don’t think I can do it. Well, you won’t know until you try and what do you have to lose? I’m not suggesting you give up your job to start a new business without making a few plans but at least start making those plans. And as for writing a book, it’s not like you have to tell anyone while you get started.
- I won’t be as good [insert name]. No, maybe not but does it matter? Or you may surprise yourself and be fabulous.
- I don’t know where to start. The internet or your local library – read up on the subject, look at the material on our site, make some notes. If you’re reading this then you’re already on your way.
- I’m really interested in a hobby which some people will think is a bit nerdy so my friends may laugh at me. It’s probably time to care less about what people think. Chances are that one or two of them will probably want to join you. Anyway, as soon as you start your new past-time, you’ll meet lots more like-minded friends.
Start now. Don’t wait for the new year or next month when you think you’ll have more time. Time to get out of your comfort zone…or at least push the boundaries! Share your ideas with us on twitter @kitcentric and go for it!